Invited Talks & Conference Papers
- “The Senses of Musical Modernity: Adorno, Technology, and Opera”. Paper presentation at the 8th Annual Meeting of the Association for Adorno Studies, Universidade de São Paulo, April 26-27, 2019.
- “Loaded Singing: Opera, Realism, and Politics (Perspectives from Latin America)”. Paper presentation (with Jelena Novak) at the International Conference “Instrumental Theater: Music and Stage in Latin America (1954-2006)”, Casa del Bicentenario/Centro de Arte Sonoro, Buenos Aires, December 3-5, 2018.
- “A aura da ópera na época da sua reprodutibilidade técnica”. Keynote address at the 8th National Meeting of the Portuguese Society of Music Research, Escola Superior de Música de Artes do Espectáculo, Porto, November 8-10, 2018.
- “The Original is Dead (Long Live the Original): The Persistence of Aura in the Age of Reproduced Opera”. Paper presented at the 2nd “Opera Through the Eyes of Film” Symposium, Neubauer Collegium (University of Chicago), October 26, 2018.
- “Onde está a Callas? Sobre reprodutibilidade técnica da aura em Maria By Callas de Tom Volf”. Paper presented at the VII “Música, Teoria Crítica e Comunicação” Seminar, CESEM (New University of Lisbon), July 19, 2018.
- “Specter, Wound, Fate: The Secularization of Opera in Tarantino, Malick and von Trier”. Paper presented at the XIII Music and Moving Image conference, New York University, May 24, 2018.
- “The Importance of Being Passionate: Parody and Satire in Mark Rappaport’s Mozart in Love (1975)”. Paper presentation at the 1st “Opera Through the Eyes of Film” Symposium, Neubauer Collegium (University of Chicago), May 11, 2018.
- “Wagner ou Verdi ou Gluck: Virginia Woolf sobre uma antiga polémica musico-teatral”. Paper presented at I Jornadas da Linha de Estudos de Ópera do CESEM, New University of Lisbon, July 17, 2017
- “Opera Cannibalized, Cinema Unbound: Some thoughts on The Cannibals (1988) by Manoel de Oliveira and João Paes”. Invited talk at the University of California, Santa Barbara, May 10, 2017.